Chef JJ Johnson shares his favorite recipes with Wendy!
Chicken Fried Steak & Pan Gravy Recipe
¾ cup buttermilk
Kosher salt ¾ teaspoon
white pepper ½ teaspoon
cayenne pepper 1 ½ teaspoon
hot sauce ½
cup potato starch ½
cup all-purpose flour or rice flour
2 tablespoons minced parsley
4 cubed steaks Oil for frying
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 cup chicken stock
Method: 1. Whisk the eggs, buttermilk, a bit of salt, white pepper, ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, and hot sauce together in a medium shallow bowl.
2. In another medium shallow bowl mix together the potato starch, all-purpose flour, remaining cayenne pepper, pinch of salt, ½ teaspoon white pepper, and parsley.
3. Heat a large cast-iron pan with oil over medium-high heat until it reaches 350 degrees.
4. Season the cubes steaks with salt. Dip each piece in the egg mixture, then the flour mixture, egg mixture once more, and the flour mixture once more. You should egg and flour the steaks two times each.
5. Place each piece of steak in the oil and let it fry for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown.
6. Remove the chicken fried steaks to a plate lined with a paper towel or sheet tray fitted with a rack to drain the grease.
7. Make the pan gravy: carefully drain the oil until there are about 2 tablespoons left on the bottom of the pan. Add the flour and whisk until it thickens into a roux. The roux should be blonde in color.
8. Add the mustard and the chicken stock while whisking and bring up to a simmer. Adjust seasoning and thickness of gravy if needed.
9. Serve the gravy over the chicken fried steak