4 whole green plantains
1 pound medium shrimp peeled and deveined
10 pieces chicharrones
2 tbsp sofrito
4 tsp garlic minced
1/3 cup onion chopped
8 oz tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
vegetable oil for frying
salt for taste
1. Begin by heating a medium frying pan of three teaspoons of oil.
2. Add the sofrito, garlic, and onion into the pan over high heat. Saute and stir the ingredients for three to five minutes.
3. Lower the heat to simmer and pour the tomato sauce into the frying pan. Also, stir in the medium shrimp and water. Set aside and stir occasionally. Once shrimp are pink, place heat to lowest setting.
4. Heat frying oil in a separate large pan and deep them. Set aside over a wire rack or bowl with a paper towel to cool and soak remaining oil.
5. Peel and chop the green plantains into 1-inch slices. Then, fry the green plantain slices until golden color. Set aside over wire rack.
6. Place three to five fried plantain slices inside pilón while adding minced garlic and salt. Mash the ingredients together. You may add a little bit of cooked shrimp liquid while mashing if the mofongo is too dry. However, make sure mofongo is dry enough to shape.
7. Shape monofongo into a small bowl and place onto the plate and flatten the top. Place shrimp over mofongoo and pour liquid over the shrimp.
Pineapple and Avocado Salsa
1 cup finely chopped red onion (1/2 a large onion)
1 serrano pepper or 2 jalapeños to taste
1 large pineapple, peeled, core removed and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1 avocado, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1 lime, zested and juiced
1/4 cup loosely packed parsley leaves and tender stems, chopped.
1. Add chopped red onion to a small bowl and cover with warm water. Set aside for 5 minutes. Drain then rinse.
2. Depending on how spicy you want the salsa to be, deseed and remove the white membrane of one or both jalapeños. Or for a mild-medium salsa remove the seeds and membrane for both peppers. Mince the chilis finely.
3. Toss pineapple, avocado, red onion, jalapeños, lime zest, lim juice, parsley and the salt to a large bowl until well mixed. Taste then adjust with more salt if necessary.
Passionfruit Mint Mocktail
1 lime wedge and mint sprigs
6 mint leaves
2 oz Passion fruit
1 oz lime juice
2 tbsp Sugar
3 oz Club soda
1 handful Ice
1. Muddle mint leaves with sugar and lime juice in a tall glass.
2. Stir in passion fruit and club soda.
3. Add crushed ice, and garnish with a lim wedge and mint sprig. Serve immediately.