BET’s new comedy series, created and written by Lena Waithe called “Twenties” premieres tonight at 10/9c.
The sitcom follows the adventures of a queer black girl, Hattie, and her two straight best friends, Marie and Nia, who spend most of their days talking ‘ish’ and chasing their dreams.
“Twenties” is a scripted show about friendship, finding love, and messing everything up along the way. Before you watch it tonight, here are 10 things you need to know about the highly anticipated series premiere.
1. The show is based on Lena’s Waithe’s life in her early twenties.
2. “Twenties” started off as a web series Lena wrote and produced on Youtube in 2013.
3. The sitcom is based in Los Angeles because Lena said L.A really helped her become an artist and that’s when she started writing good scripts, where she met her tribe and where she got her first TV gig.
4. Rapper Big Sean is a reoccurring guest star on the show who has a love interest with Nia.
5. Susan Fales-Hill who was the lead writer and producer for “ A Different World” is also the showrunner of “Twenties.”
6. “Twenties” will be the first primetime television show where a queer black woman is the protagonist.
7. Vanessa Williams and Rick Fox are together again as a character’s parents.
8. Jonica T Gibbs, the protagonist met Lena Waithe as she was crowdfunding and sold some merchandise to Lena Waithe during the same time she was auditioning for the sitcom.
9. “Twenties” sheds light on the lack of representation from the LGBTQ community both on and off camera.
10. The show went from being developed at BET to TBS and now back to BET.