Tofu Vegetable Curry
1 cup minced Spanish onions
2 tbs minced ginger
1 tbs minced garlic
3 tbs canola (neutral oil)
1.5 thbs curry powder (see recipe below)
3 tbs light brown sugar
2 Cans full fat coconut milk (chefs choice/chao koh/arroy D preferred)
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1ea red Serrano sliced thin on a bias
3/4 cup Grape tom quartered
1 cup roasted cauliflower
2 cup cleaned kale
1 ea Japanese eggplant cut lengthwise and then inco 1/2inch pieces
1/3 cup thai basil
1 ea extra firm tofu cut in cubes and baked
½ ea lime juice (fresh) more t.t.
t.t. salt if needed
1. Heat up oil in a large saucepot. Add the oil and toast the curry powder. Add the onions, garlic and ginger and cook until soft. Add the soy sauce and brown sugar.
2. Add the coconut milk, Serrano chili, tomatoes and eggplant
3. In the meantime, roast the cauliflower (cut into bite size florets) in the oven at 400 degrees lightly salted an oiled.
4. At the same time bake the tofu in the oven at 400 degrees lightly oiled and salted
5. Once the eggplant is cooked, add the kale and cook until just wilted then take off the heat
6. Add the thai basil and season with lime juice.
7. To plate add some cauliflower in the bottom of a bowl and pour the curry on top. Then finish by adding the tofu and serve with coconut rice.
Yields: About 2 cups
½ cup Cumin Seeds
1/3 cup Coriander Seeds
1 tablespoon whole cloves
3 cinnamon sticks, broken into pieces
2 whole star anise
1 ¼ cup ground turmeric
1.Combine the cumin, coriander, cloves, cinnamon and star anise in a medium sauté pan over medium heat and cook, tossing constantly, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
2. Transfer spices to a coffee grinder, in batches, and grind to a fine powder. Transfer to a container with a lid, stir in the turmeric and store in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months
Steamed Jasmine Rice
2 cups Jasmine rice (I prefer 3 Elephant brand)
2 teaspoons kosher salt
In a medium saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, combine the rice, 1 7/8 cups water, and the salt and bring to a boil. Stir once, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 18 minutes. (Do not lift the lid or stir) Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes; fluff with a fork and serve. Or cook in a rice cooker.
1 recipe Steamed Jasmine Rice
1 cup Chao Koh unsweetened coconut milk
1/3 cup sugar
1 ½ tablespoon kosher salt
1. While the rice is resting off heat. Combine the coconut milk, sugar and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over low heat, cook until the sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes.
2. Transfer the jasmine rice to a large bowl and fluff with a fork. Add the coconut milk mixture and fold to combine. Cover the boil with plastic wrap and let the rice sit for about 10 minutes to allow the mixture to be absorbed.
Winter Wonder Root – Winter Special at Piggyback Bar
2 oz Misunderstood – Ginger Whiskey
.75oz 5spice syrup
Dash of Peychaud’s
Shake, strain into coupe, grated nutmeg to finish
5 spice syrup:
Demerara simple syrup (50/50) then add in about 8-10 cloves, 8 star anise crushed, 8 all spice crushed, 6-8 cinnamon sticks crushed (depends how cinnamon-y you’d like it)…and a little bit of nutmeg. Run through cheesecloth.