Spicy Citrus Blended Margarita
2 tablespoons peeled, chopped cucumber
4 very thin jalapeno rounds or more, to taste
1-1/2 teaspoons Truvia
¼ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
3 tablespoons premium tequila
1-1/2 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lime juice
1 tablespoon triple sec or orange liqueur
6 ice cubes
1. Add the cucumber, jalapeno and Truvia to an old fashioned glass. Muddle them, until the cucumber is very finely chopped.
2. Add the orange juice, tequila, lime juice, and orange liqueur.
3. Stir in the ice cubes.
4. Add additional jalapeno rounds, to taste.
5. Garnish with a slice of lime and/or a jalapeno slice. Enjoy immediately.
Makes 1 (10 ounce) serving
FROZEN BLUEBERRY MARGARITA
3 cups frozen blueberries
1/2 cup gold or silver tequila
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
1/4 cup light agave nectar
24 ice cubes
4 lime wedges for garnish (optional)
1. Add the blueberries, tequila, lemon and lime juices, agave, and ice to a blender with ice-crushing ability.
2. Blend on high until the mixture is smooth.
3. Divide the margaritas among four 12-ounce glasses and serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings
SOUTH-OF-THE-BORDER LOADED SWEET POTATO
8-ounce sweet potato
4 ounces extra-lean ground turkey
3/4 teaspoon all-natural salt-free fajita or Southwest seasoning
Olive oil spray (propellant free)
1/3 cup fresh salsa, drained
2 tablespoons jarred all-natural roasted green salsa
2 tablespoons fat-free Greek yogurt
1. Using a fork, poke the potato 5 times on all sides and place it in a microwave-safe bowl or dish. Cover the dish loosely with a paper towel. Microwave it on high for 3 minutes. Carefully flip the potato (it will be very hot) and continue microwaving for 2 to 4 minutes longer, or until cooked and tender.
2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the turkey and seasoning.
3. Place a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
4. When hot, lightly mist it with the olive oil spray.
5. Cook the turkey for 3 to 4 minutes, or until no longer pink, breaking it into bite-size chunks as you do.
6. Cut an opening in the potato that stretches 1″ from each end of the potato and deep enough to open the potato completely without cutting it in half. Put it in a medium shallow bowl.
7. Stuff the potato with the fresh salsa, then the turkey, then the green salsa.
8. Top it with the yogurt. Serve immediately.
Makes 1 serving
COLE SLAW WITH ORANGE- CILANTRO VINAIGRETTE
1⁄4 cup fat-free plain yogurt
1⁄4 cup light mayonnaise
1⁄4 cup 100% orange juice (preferably freshly squeezed or “not from concentrate”)
3 tablespoons white vinegar
1-1⁄2 teaspoons honey
7 cups shredded green cabbage (about 10 ounces)
1 cup shredded carrots
1⁄2 cup slivered red onion
1⁄3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Salt, to taste
Ground black pepper, to Taste
1. In a large, resealable plastic container, whisk together the yogurt, mayonnaise, juice, vinegar, and honey.
2. Add the cabbage, carrots, onion, and cilantro and stir until well combined.
3. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or up to 2 days.
Makes 6, generous 3⁄4-cup, servings
Recipes by Celebrity Chef Devin Alexander; for more, please go to www.devinalexander.com.