6 cloves garlic, chopped
2 shallots, coarsely chopped
Bunch green onions, trimmed and chopped
Bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley, leaves and stems coarsely chopped
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1. Place the garlic, shallots, onions, parsley, and vegetable oil in a food processor, and puree.
2. Transfer the garlic mixture to a container, and set aside.
Trinidadian-Style Chicken with Plantain
1 (3-pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 white onion, cut into small dice
1 green chile, seeded and halved lengthwise, optional
1 unripe plantain, halved lengthwise and chopped
4 plum tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1. Put the chicken pieces in a bowl and add half of the Amise marinade, cover, and marinate in the refrigerator for a maximum of 24 hours.
2. In a wide-based pan, heat the sugar and vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
3. Swirl the glaze until the sugar caramelizes and browns, approximately 7 to 10 minutes.
4. As soon as the sugar caramelizes, add the chicken pieces, in one layer skin-side down and brown the chicken on all sides, about approximately 5 minutes.
5. Add the onion, chile, plantain, tomatoes, and Worcestershire sauce to the pan, and stir.
6. Pour in the chicken stock, and bring the ingredients to a boil.
7. Add in the reserved marinade and reduce the heat to medium.
8. Cook for 30 to 40 minutes, and season the dish with salt, to taste. Turn off the heat.
9. Transfer the chicken to a serving plate and garnish with the cilantro leaves just before serving.
Recipe courtesy of Man Fire Food.