1 large yellow onion, sliced (can swap for any variety of onion)
1 head fennel, chopped
1/4 to 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil (1/4 cup for a smaller head of fennel and kale, 1/2 cup for larger veggies)
3 or 4 garlic cloves, sliced
2 to 4 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
2 (15-ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 quart chicken broth, vegetable broth, or bone broth
1 bunch fresh kale, stemmed and roughly chopped
Fresh lemon juice (optional)
Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
1. Add the onion, fennel, oil, and garlic to a large soup pot.
2. Place over medium-low heat and mix the vegetables to coat with oil. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring periodically.
3. Add the beans and thyme and season with salt and pepper.
4. Pour in the broth and increase the heat to high.
5. Once the soup is boiling, reduce the heat to low and simmer it for 15 minutes.
6. Add the kale and up to 1 cup water to cover the vegetables, if needed.
7. Simmer 5 minutes more, until kale is tender.
8. Serve bowls of hot soup with a squeeze of fresh lemon and a sprinkle of parsley if desired
Makes 3 to 4 Servings.
Recipe by Robyn Youkillis and from her book Go With Your Gut.