Chocolate Chip Pancakes
Makes 4 3-inch pancakes
1 egg white, lightly beaten
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/2 cup whole-grain oat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons mini chocolate chips
Butter-flavored cooking spray
4 teaspoons pure maple syrup, divided
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F.
2. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the egg white, buttermilk, flour, baking soda, vanilla, and salt. Stir in the water until well incorporated.
3. Then stir in the chocolate chips and let the batter sit for 10 minutes.
4. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
5. When a spritz of water causes the skillet to sizzle, working in batches, and re-spraying the pan between each batch, pour 1/4 cup per pancake of batter onto the skillet.
6. Cook them for about 2 minutes until there are bubbles on the top and the bottom is golden brown.
7. Flip the pancake(s) and cook them about another 2 minutes until they are golden brown on the bottom.
8. Transfer the finished pancake(s) to an oven-proof plate, cover with foil, and keep them warm in the oven until they are all cooked.
9. Serve them immediately with 1 teaspoon of syrup per pancake.
Recipe taken from Devin Alexander’s THE MOST DECADENT DIET EVER!
Copyright © 2008 by Devin Alexander published by Broadway Books, a division of Random House Inc.