This Whole30 take on Vietnamese pho subs in zucchini noodles for the classic rice noodles, but features the same flavorful ginger-garlic beef broth and toppings—Thai basil, cilantro, sliced green onion, jalapeño, and lime wedges—so you can customize it to your taste.
PREP: 15 minutes COOK: 10 minutes TOTAL: 25 minutes
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
6 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
5 cups Beef Bone Broth (page 285) or Whole30-compliant beef broth
2 tablespoons coconut aminos
2 teaspoons Red Boat fish sauce
1 teaspoon salt
2 medium zucchini
12 ounces boneless beef sirloin steak, thinly sliced across the grain (see Tip)
Fresh Thai basil leaves
Fresh cilantro leaves
Sliced green onion
1. In a large pot, heat the coconut oil over medium heat.
2. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the broth, coconut aminos, fish sauce, and salt. Bring to a boil; reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, use a spiral slicer or julienne peeler to cut the zucchini lengthwise into long, thin strands (or use a regular vegetable peeler to cut the zuc¬chini lengthwise into thin ribbons).
5. Add the zucchini noodles to the simmering soup and cook until just tender, about 2 minutes.
6. Add the sliced steak and simmer until just cooked, 30 to 60 sec¬onds.
7. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve with the toppings of your choice.
TIP: Freeze the steak for 15 minutes for easier slicing.
Recipe courtesy of Melissa Hartwig and The Whole30 Cookbook.
Photo: Brent Herrig