The feud between Martha Stewart and Gwyneth Paltrow started when Martha said Gwyneth is trying to be the “next Martha Stewart.”
Then, Gwyneth hired Martha’s ex CEO and Martha mocked Gwyneth by baking a “Conscious Coupling” pie.
Gwyneth fired back with her own “Jailbird Cake.”
Wendy put the dueling divas’ baked goods to the test.
Martha’s Conscious Coupling Pie
1 stick unsalted butter, melted, plus more for cake pan
8 sheets thawed frozen phyllo dough (each 17 by 12 inches)
2 to 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
3 1/2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
4 large egg yolks
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
3 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (about 3/4 cup)
2 cups heavy cream
2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
Chocolate shavings, for serving (optional)
Crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-by-2-inch cake pan, then line with two 17-by-2-inch strips of parchment, forming an X in center and leaving a 2-inch overhang. Butter parchment.
Place 1 sheet of phyllo on a work surface with a long side facing you, keeping remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap.
Lightly brush entire surface with melted butter, then sprinkle some of granulated sugar on right half of phyllo. Fold left half over to enclose sugar. Brush top lightly with butter. Press folded phyllo into pan, buttered-side down, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang on one side; gather and crumple dough slightly as you go to make fit and to create a ruffled edge. Repeat with remaining phyllo sheets, overlapping to completely cover bottom of pan and create a 1/2-inch overhang on all sides. Bake until golden, about 20 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes.
Brush melted chocolate over bottom and 1 inch up sides of crust. Refrigerate 10 minutes.
Filling: Meanwhile, in a heatproof bowl set over (not in) a pot of simmering water, whisk together yolks, granulated sugar, and salt until sugar is dissolved. Whisk in bittersweet chocolate until melted. Remove from heat. Let cool 10 minutes.
Beat 1 cup cream until medium-stiff peaks form. Whisk one-third of whipped cream into chocolate mixture. Gently but thoroughly fold in remaining whipped cream. Pour mixture into cooled crust. Refrigerate at least 3 hours.
Beat remaining 1 cup cream with confectioners’ sugar until soft peaks form. Dollop onto pie, sprinkle with chocolate shavings, and serve.
Gwyneth’s Jailbird Cake
2/3 box “Famous” chocolate wafers
3 cups whipping cream
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
Milk chocolate, to shave for garnish
1. Whip cream until it forms soft peaks, then add vanilla and powdered sugar, and whisk to combine.
2. Sandwich about 1 tablespoon prepared cream between two chocolate wafers, flip the sandwich on its side, and place on a rectangular serving platter.
3. Continue adding wafers and cream until you have a log of 8 wafers with cream in between each one.
4. Start again with a second log directly behind the first one, and continue working until you have 5 logs with 8 cookies in each.
5. Use the remaining whipped cream to frost the top and sides.
6. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 4 hours, or up to 24 hours.
7. Garnish with chocolate shavings just before serving.