If you love spicy food like Wendy, you’ll love Ingrid Hoffman’s Enchiladas Suizas, Black Beans and Queso Fresco Five-Grain Tostadas and Mexican Sangria!
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, trimmed of excess fat, rinsed
3 cups water
3 garlic cloves, crushed under a knife and peeled
1 teaspoon Delicioso Adobo Seasoning
6 medium tomatillos (about 12 ounces), husked, rinsed, and quartered
½ medium yellow onion, coarsely chopped
¼ cup packed cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish
2 jalapeños, seeded and coarsely chopped
½ cup fat-free sour cream
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
8 corn tortillas
1 cup (4 ounces) 2% milk reduced-fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
1. Place the chicken, water, 2 of the garlic cloves, and the adobo to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and cover. Simmer until the chicken is opaque when pierced in the thickest part with the tip of a knife, about 15 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board. Strain the cooking liquid into a heatproof bowl and reserve. Let the chicken cool. Using two forks, shred the chicken into bite-size pieces.
2. Puree the tomatillos, onion, cilantro, jalapeños, and the remaining garlic clove with ¼ cup of the reserved cooking liquid. Transfer to a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring often, until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in the sour cream and Parmesan. Pour into a wide, shallow dish or bowl.
3. Wrap the tortillas in moistened paper towels. Microwave on high (100%) until the tortillas are pliable, about 15 seconds.
4. Position the broiler rack 6 inches from the source of heat and preheat the broiler. Spray a 9 × 13-inch flameproof baking dish with cooking spray. Dip each tortilla in the sauce. Transfer to a plate. Place about 2 tablespoons of the chicken on the tortilla and roll it up. Place, seam side down, in the baking dish. Pour the remaining sauce over the enchiladas and sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese.
5. Broil until the cheese is melted, about 1 minute. Sprinkle with the cilantro and serve immediately.
Makes 4 to 6 servings
Black Beans and Queso Fresco Five-Grain Tostadas
1 whole-wheat French baguette, cut on the diagonal into 14 ½-inch slices
1 garlic clove, peeled and cut in half
1 teaspoon olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
1∕8 teaspoon sweet paprika
1∕8 teaspoon salt
1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, finely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish, finely chopped
½ cup queso fresco or reduced-fat feta, finely diced
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 500°F.
2. Arrange the bread slices on a large baking sheet. Bake for 2 minutes. Flip the bread slices over and bake until the bread is lightly toasted, about 2 minutes more. While the toast is still warm, rub each slice with the garlic clove halves.
3. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the black beans, vinegar, paprika, and salt and cook, stirring often, until hot, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, cilantro, and half of the queso fresco and heat through, about 3 minutes more. Remove from the heat and season with the pepper.
4. To serve, top each toast with about 1 tablespoon of the black bean mixture and sprinkle with the remaining queso fresco and cilantro. Drizzle with olive oil and serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings
1 cup seedless green grapes
1 cup silver tequila
1 750-ml bottle dry white wine, such as pinot grigio
1½ cups bottled white grape juice
¼ cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons superfine sugar
2 limes, each cut into eighths
1 quart sparkling water, plus extra for serving ice, for serving
lime rounds, for garnish
1. Combine the grapes and tequila in a large pitcher. Let stand for 1 hour.
2. Add the wine, grape juice, lime juice, sugar, and limes and stir to dissolve the sugar. Add the sparkling water and stir gently. Pour into ice-filled glasses, and top each with additional sparkling water, if desired. Garnish with the lime rounds and serve.
Makes 8 servings