The Cast of Roots

TV Icons.

The cast of Roots talks about their ground breaking mini-series that debuted in 1977 and reveal what it’s like being part of such an iconic film.

Then, find out what the cast thinks about Django Unchained and Quentin Tarantino’s controversial comments about the legendary mini-series, calling it “oversimplified.” (Via TheDailyBeast.com)

Plus, Wendy reveals what the mini-series means to her.

Comments

1. Reggie M. says:

The Cast does not know that the Roots was started from a Grant in San Jose called the Kinte Project lead by Dr. Leonard Jeffries and Alex Haley was a researcher. The Kinte Project was supposed to be a Research Project dealing with Africa, the Americas, Europe and the Caribbean. It was through that process that Alex Haley got his first trip to Africa as part of the telling of his own story. There are more stories to tell. The difference between Roots and Django is that there were Africans who chose Freedom or Death. Glory with Denzel Washington tells another side. We need more sides.

2. Belinda says:

I have so much respect for the cast of roots. They didn’t just get into character for their role they lived the truth of a real person’s situation. I don’t believe Roots can ever be topped!!

3. Still in Birmingham says:

Our side of the street? Isn’t that what you call discrimination or maybe reverse discrimination. The truth of the whole thing is more than half of the black people in this country don’t know the truth. Don’t get me wrong, I lived in Birmingham in the sixties and things were bad but it didn’t take a rocket scientist to see things were changing. I believe that just because you are black does not mean you know black history. Lately the stories are being told to ageverate everyone and to start the riots all over again. I believe there are several people around that are white that can tell stories about black history. But you know, to sit and listen about how a white man is telling a black history story and how that is wrong and why he should stay on his side of the road – well thats just wrong. And you know what really bothers me is these actors are people I really enjoy watching. I guess thats wrong to, Maybe I should stay on my side of the street. And, since I now have irritated every black person that watches this program, I might as well say the next thing that really pushes my button. If you are born in this country, you are a american. If you come from another country,such as africa – yes you are a african american. Be proud of your roots, but you are an american.

4. Hubbchick says:

Question for you Wendy… do you ever sense reverse discrimination? I like yourself watched Roots as a child and understood it’s meaning. I’m a child of the 60’s and 70’s which in my lens was transitional years. I attended schools with people of color (to include Asians). My Mom accepted Welfare, we lived in the less desirable communities but I was surrounded by differences and I didn’t feel superior, I felt included. I now feel “excluded” since I’m still not wealthy, I didn’t not qualify or receive special benefits as my childhood friends did, I struggled. Please note when opportunity presents itself and I’m up against a qualified “minority”, I’ve been passed over. I feel we’ve transitioned into reverse inequity. I can’t change the past, I don’t want to be held responsible for it. All I can do is be “aware” of it but honestly Black History is constantly presenting itself and it should be noted but it should not lead my opportunities.

5. Three archetypes at a time says:

Times change, so much…

We recently read Harriet Beecher Stowe’s Uncle Tom’s Cabin in my current school program. It was very interesting to talk about, having been written in 1852, in terms of literary criticism and analytical thinking.

Forty or fifty years ago, also, I, myself, as an African American male, remember hearing about slavery. I was in middle school and high school. It had a different impact on me
    back then, of course, because desegregation of the races was still new in the late 1960s.

Today, however, this story doesn’t have much political or social significance to me. As I just stated, only in terms of literary criticism and analytical thinking. Particularly when you realize how much black-on-black crime is being reported (as well as how much is not being reported). Even by the most cursory of surveys.

It makes stories like Roots seem, with all due respect to Black History Month, so transcontinental. It’d be interesting to hear or see what, let’s say, um, Master Kev’s–or any middle school-aged African American male’s–take would be on it.

Today’s show was a nice gesture, if nothing else. Wishing everyone a Happy Black History Month… a good time to reflect.

6. Myrna Wade says:

Windy, I watch tour show everyday. Tuesday Feb. 5th 2013 was a great show. You are looking great. Love from Myrna in Reno, Nv.