1 quart water
2 pounds smoked turkey wings
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
4 pounds collard greens
4 pounds kale
Salt and Pepper to taste
Garnish: red pepper sauce, seasoned vinegar
(Estimate 1 pound of greens per person)
Don’t forget to “like” My Black is Beautiful on Facebook and Twitter. Join the movement that celebrates the unique beauty of African American women, inside and out.
1. Pour water into a large pot and add turkey wings, red pepper and garlic. Bring water to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer water for 30 minutes.
2. Prepare greens: fold the leaves in half with one hand, and tear the rib out of the greens with the other hand. Stack the leaves and roll them lengthwise. Cut the stack in half lengthwise, and cut across in ½” thick ribbons. Wash greens well and drain.
3. Add greens to the seasoned water and let cook for 15 to 20 minutes until tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot with red pepper sauce and vinegar, if desired.
Note: The liquid from the greens (commonly known as pot liquor) may be saved and used in soups.
Sweet Potato Dressing
1 pound sweet potatoes (about 3 medium), peeled and cut into 1” cubes
1 teaspoon salt, divided
2 tablespoons canola or olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup celery, chopped into ½” pieces
1 cup yellow onion, chopped into ½” pieces
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon poultry seasoning
½ pound ground spicy turkey or pork sausage
3 cups seasoned croutons
1 granny smith apple, chopped into ½” cubes
¼ cup golden raisins
1 egg lightly beaten
½ – ¾ cup chicken stock
1. Oil 9×11 casserole dish and preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Heat large skillet to high heat. Toss sweet potatoes in 1 tablespoon oil and ½ teaspoon salt. In a single layer, place sweet potatoes in pan and allow to brown on at least two sides. Prepare in two batches if necessary. Remove from pan and set aside.
3. In the same pan reduce heat to medium, add butter and sauté celery and onion. Add ½ teaspoon of salt, black pepper and poultry seasoning. Cook until translucent. Remove from pan and set aside.
4. In the same pan, add a bit more oil and brown sausage. In a large bowl. Combine sausage, celery, onion, croutons, apple pieces and raisins. Stir in beaten egg and enough chicken stock to moisten croutons. Fold in sweet potatoes. Adjust seasoning, if necessary.
5. Transfer mixture to prepared casserole dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350°F for 35 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
8 to 10 servings.