½ pound chicken breast, sliced
1 pound uncooked penne pasta
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
1 (16-ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes with liquid
1 teaspoon crushed hot red pepper
¼ cup vodka (optional)
½ cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
¾ cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Bring 6 quarts of lightly salted water to a boil in an 8-quart pot over high heat. Stir penne into boiling water. Bring water back to a boil, stirring frequently. Cook pasta, stirring occasionally, until al dente, about 8 to 10 minutes.
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add sliced chicken and brown for 2 minutes on each side; set aside.
3. Add garlic to the skillet and sauté until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Gently add tomatoes to pan. Bring to a simmer, season lightly with salt and red pepper. Add vodka and maintain heat so sauce is at a simmer for 3 minutes.
4. Add cream and butter to sauce, mix thoroughly.
5. Add the chicken and cooked pasta to the skillet and stir.
6. Remove skillet from heat, sprinkle with cheese, parsley and black pepper, toss, and serve immediately.