What’s Good Hair?

hairbrush

Comedian Chris Rock wants to know: What’s “Good Hair?”

A few months ago, Chris Rock’s daughter came to him in tears and asked, “Daddy, how come I don’t have good hair?”

This struck a cord with the funnyman and he embarked on a journey to find out where the expression, “Good Hair” came from.

Chris visited beauty salons across America to uncover the truth behind the culture of African American hair and find out what members of the black community have to say about having “Good Hair.”

Watch the trailer now.

Tell Us: What do you think of the expression “Good Hair” and do you feel judged by society, or even your own family and friends because of your hair?

Photo Gallery: Which one of Wendy’s wigs do you like the best?

Comments

1. Qiana says:

Just thought you would like to know that Kim Kardashian and Lauren Conrad are not the only guest judges on the upcoming cycle of ANTM. They are, however, the only ones without modeling/fashion experience.

Chanel Iman, Jessica White, Josie Marin, Jamie Rashir, China Chow, Kirsty Hume, and Marisa Miller…just to give you the full list…

2. maryloo says:

ME AGAIN ONE MORE THING BE CAREFUL OF HOW YOU HOT IRON YOUR KIDS HAIR AFTER A WHILE IT MAKES THE HAIR START TO FALL OUT. IF THEY GO TO THE BEACH OR THE POOL LET THEM WEAR A SWIM CAP AND DONT WASH THE HAIR TO OFTEN I WOULD SAY TWICE A MONTH BUT SOME PEOPLE MIGHT SAY I AM NASTY BUT DIRTY HAIR GROWS MORE FASTER THAN CLEAN HAIR A LOT OF PEOPLE DONT KNOW THAT. DONT COMB YOUR CHILDRENS HAIR TOO TIGHT WHETHER IT BE BRAID OR PONY TAILS, I AM JUST SAYING…..

3. maryloo says:

I AGREE WITH SOME OF YOU-GOOD HEAR IS MANAGEABLE HAIR OR HAIR THAT GROWS BACK WHEN YOU CUT IT. HAIR THAT DOESNT FALL OUT- HAIR THAT CAN BE BRAIDED. BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY GOOD HAIR COMES FROM HOW YOU TREAT YOUR HAIR. SOME PEOPLE UNINTENTIONALLY DAMAGE THEIR HAIR WITHOUT KNOWING YET STILL THEY WERE BORN WITH GOOD HAIR. DONT PROCESS THE KIDS HAIR BEFORE THEY KNOW HOW TO WASH AND SET IT THEMSELVES. IF YOU ARE GOING TO BRAIDE YOUR KIDS HAIR DONT DO IT EVERY DAY AND DONT USE RUBBER BANDS IN THE HAIR AND IF YOU ARE GOING TO BRAIDE THE HAIR SMALL LEAVE THE ENDS TWISTED SO THAT IT CAN BE PULLED OUT EASY AND FOR GOD SAKE OIL THE HAIR IF YOU ARE GOING TO BRADE IT. I AM ONLY SAYING

4. Patrick says:

Good hair is manageable hair, locked, twisted, braided, plaited, permed, natural good hair is hair that does what you want it to do

5. ladydoll says:

This is for chris and his dauther plus all the others who wanted to no the answer to the question what is good hair. I posted earlier where to find the answer but forgot to tell you what chapter in Revelation. Its capter 1 verses 10;15. I really hope that you wendy can get this to Chris and all others who whould like to no the answer to the age old question WHAT IS GOOD HAIR. love alwsys ladydoll

6. Ms. G says:

Good hair is hair that doesn’t fall out in the sink! Short, long…nappy, straight…it’s ALL good as long as it’s attached to your scalp!

7. Niheema says:

Well good hair is healthy strong hair. But I have recently decided that I would stop perming my hair and wearing weaves cause my edges were getting thin. You would be surpised how many black women were appauled that I shaved my hair off. I did not want to transition and deal with the breakage
    Now my hair is healthy and still short but I love it. We need to wakeup as black women and understand that we are beautiful in our natural state and if u want to perm your hair or wear weave its an option not a requirement.
    Also more eduation need to be done and shared on how to care for our hair in the natural state, no silcone and petrolum products etc. Because the cometics industry makes billons of dollars sabatoging your efforts to wear your natural hair. The media is making black women spend more money on beauty and hair than any other group as a whole. Its sad that even our daughter have fragile self esteem. As for me, the Asian Weave Mafia is not getting a whole bunch of my money anymore its a Recession. Lol

8. ladydoll says:

This is for Christ Rock and all others who dont no the answer to the question What is good hair you can give them the correct answer. To find the answer go to your only real and only true informations book Your answer to all questions THE BIBLE Rev-10-15. There you will see what is good hair. For you chris read it to your dauther. Than give her a great big hug then tell her that she have good hair like her hevenly father JUSUS CHRIST. Love always ladydoll

9. I Do Believe In Good Hair And To Me That Means When You Have A Natural Grade Of Hair That Doesn’t Have To Be Permed!!! Good Hair Doesn’t Need A Perm. It’s That Good! We Can All Have Good Hair Though, Just Stop By Your Nearst Beauty Supply And They Should Have It All Silky, Straight, Yaky, Tacky LOL You Name It!! Love You Wendy Xo Xo Xo

10. ~GOOD HAIR~ just like light skin versus dark skin and porch n**** versus field n****, is a term used to separate and control the black slaves through the tactics of division by the white slave master and unfortunately, is still used by people within the black community itself. It is stupid and ignorant. I have to stop people in their tracks as they attempt to glory my daughter’s SO-CALLED ‘GOOD HAIR’. I hate the term, the effects it has on us and refuse to accept someone teaching my daughter that it’s okay. I tell her that there is no such thing as GOOD HAIR and BAD HAIR; instead there is well maintained hair, badly maintained hair and hair that has experienced trauma (such as stress, chemotherapy, etc.). We need to stop crippling ourselves with such foolishness. Kudos to Chris Rock for bringing light to the situation.

11. It doesn’t matter if it is straightened or not as long as u look chic, good and beautiful . U can tell a lot about a woman by the way she wears her hair . U can tell if she’s smart, intelligent, whoreisha. Elegant or naturally sexy sophisticated.
    I know about these things Im a former model and with five kids . I can still tell a person about themself by the way they wear their hair!!! Shalom

12. deena thomas says:

GOOD HAIR IS WHAT THE LORD GAVE YOU.

13. Rainechild says:

Ok well Good hair. I do not have what uneducated people would consider as good hair. I have been to hair dressers mostly black with my hair and they say I need a perm becuase they can not comb it. That is funny because the dominicans do not have a problem combing my hair. Also is it me or is funny that black hair dressers are the only ones that do not know how to take care of black hair. I love weave and have tried wigs but there is nothing like you own unprocessed 4b hair. If you are black and do not know what that term means. Get educated and stop torturing your scalp.

14. Kelly says:

Growing up black and having the good stuff where you can wash it and put some mousse in it and it would stay curly and look like a perm or you put rollers in it and sit under the dryer and your hair comes out straight, gained and lost me friends. The black kids considered me bi-racial where others didn’t want to be bothered. I preferred to keep my hair in corn-rows where you couldn’t tell how my hair was. I was judged but never judged anyone else because their hair was “good stuff”. I think its what puts us against each other and all we had to compare to was what we saw on TV. I am so happy for the song “I AM NOT MY HAIR”. Thanks to India Irie. We are in yr 2009, we need to get past that..but the movie is going to be a trip! Can’t wait.

15. God Love Chris Rock!!! Oh he is too funny and he really hits home with this movie. I can’t wait to see the whole thing. I spend thousands a year for hair!! Figures this genius would touch on the subject first.

16. APRIL says:

Kayne next pop star pleaze

17. Christina says:

Growing Up, the term “Good Hair” was very prevalent in the black community, and still is. “Good Hair” was stereotypically considered long, fine, curly or wavy hair, and “nappy” was stereotypically considered BAD. People who still think this way, can’t help that they think this way, because its been embedded into us psychologically through mental slavery. Some Blacks think that in order to be accepted into a euro-centric society or be considered beautiful, you HAVE to wear weaves or get relaxers to fit in. What Good Hair truly is, is healthy hair.

18. aron ranen says:

Please check out my documentary BLACK HAIR which explores the Korean Take-Over of the black Hair Biz, and what people are doing to get it back…can it be taken back?

I have posted the entire film at no charge, plus two updates and a report from LONDON ENGLAND, where it is the same situation…

Link to part one

19. Tiffany says:

Well, I used to be obsessed with my hair..I had a relaxer..it was a little longer than shoulder length..and I am a redbone so I was just too hot to trot..until I was diagnosed with cancer and lost all my hair from chemo treatment. I cried a little but I realized its just hair..now Im a wiggy and I like it better than my natural hair..it gets wet and falls right back in place..I can change it everyday or every hour. Hair isn’t everything ladies..especially when it’s life and death.. I rather be bald and alive then dead with a head full of hair. So it is what it is..do you, and don’t be ashamed everybody got a few beauty “secrets” up their sleeves..

20. Dutchess says:

Good Hair is Healthy and Happy Hair!!!!
    The moms and I cannot wait to go see the movie.